Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Dominican culture

I have been pleasantly surprised and impressed by the culture in the Dominican republic. I was not expecting it to be as influenced by The USA as it is. I spend a lot of time in Latin American countries, specifically Guatemala, and the culture here is intensely different.

One of the big differences is this country's obsession with basketball. It is so fun to be able to play basketball every day as well as talk about and discuss the NBA and basketball in general. The games are intense and real. Referees how up when we start playing. People come to watch pick up games. The atmosphere is perfect.

If I am being completely honest, the other thing that I am really enjoying is the diversity of the culture. People who are Dominican do not all looks the same. Many of them will look like they're from Spain while others will look like they're from Africa and everything in between. It is an awesome sight to behold him and I think I like it because it makes it look like I can walk around and blend right in as a Dominican… If it weren't for my awful Spanish speaking skills.

Overall, we are having a great time in the Dominican republic and the time is flying by. It is a wonderful place with wonderful food wonderful people wonderful weather and wonderful culture.

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment